Invent a deodorising solution that is customisable or acts in response to certain triggers!
We have a series of four contests coming up on the topic of deodorants, but broader than that. The four contests will be launched one after another and they are all on distinct themes. Here is the first one.
Today, deodorants do lots of things – they help us manage sweat, avoid odour, restore skin after shaving, remove dark spots, etc. However, they all pretty much do it in the same way (e.g. spray/roll-on/stick in various different sizes and smells) and the opportunity for consumers to personalise their choice is limited.
The world is changing – consumers are now looking for the next revolution in the deodorant market, based on the following trends around personalisation & intelligent response.
Here are the details of these trends:
- We are in an era of personalisation. Customers want products to be customised according to their tastes. They value brands that offer bespoke products as for them it’s important that products really address their issues and tastes. The personal care category is following this trend by offering hyper-personalised makeup or perfume as well as allowing creative input in the packaging design & mixing and matching of colours and scents.
- Another trend is about products that intelligently respond to a stimulus. If deodorants were to follow this trend, they would not be passive protectors but active products that act in response to a particular signal emitted directly by the body or the environment. For instance, a nail polish has been launched recently that changes colour based on body temperature, mood and the objects you’re holding.
Can you come up with deodorising solutions that are customisable or responsive to certain triggers?
Invent a deodorising solution 1) that you can adapt to your needs or tastes or 2) that intelligently responds to triggers from your body activity or immediate environment.
You should pick one option only and invent a new deodorising solution.
Your new solution should be either a deodorising solution that reflects your preferences (a customised solution) or something that acts in response to your personal body (a smart solution).
Keep in mind people’s needs: smelling good, feeling free, having light and soft skin, avoiding wetness and odours.
Also think about all the things we do to our armpits: washing, shaving, waxing, applying products, etc.
Can you think of an innovative new idea to break the mould?
Tell us how it works, what it looks like and who it is for. Your entry should be composed of: a product idea, a packaging idea, and the story around it (when, why and for whom).
Also you need to state clearly into which of the two areas it falls.
We favour meaningful and breakthrough ideas and the focus here is not about submitting great looking ideas only. Spend time on crafting an amazing concept and impress us!
A good example for this contest, on the theme of customisation: Creating your very own deodorising solution, designed to your needs and tastes. According to the time of the year or to your plans (a date, holidays with friends, a work meeting) you create the smell that you want for each of these occasions. Not only can you create your own scent but you can also choose which issue to target. If you sweat a lot or very little, you don’t want the same product.
A good example for this contest, on the theme of intelligent response: In 2011, Rexona launched a new technology called Motionsense. This is essentially technology that releases a burst of freshness once activated by body heat caused by movement.
A bad idea would be the option to customise the can with your name. This is not a bad idea per se but it is not enough. It would be accepted only if it was part of a broader solution.
- #1 賞 3,000€
- #2 賞 1,500€
- #3 賞 1,000€
- #4 賞 500€
Product and packaging design (visual) and text. (4 pages PDF only).
We are looking for breakthrough ideas. Things that really bring something new to the deodorant sector. You can find inspiration beyond personal care products. The best ideas will be highly innovative but with the capacity to reach a wide audience.
- Don’t use any brand for your product idea.
- Think beyond deodorants. Think ‘deodorising solution’.
- The target of your product is men and women, in multiple regions of the world.
- As we are focusing chiefly on ideas, quality of execution is less important.
- Clearly state which of the themes you have chosen to base your idea on.
- Entries must be written in English.